Today, both the House of Representatives and Senate were in Session. Any proposed bills that came through either the House or Senate will be placed in a summary post after they are published at Congress.gov.
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
The House of Representatives accepted the resignation of Mr. Tom Price, who is now the Secretary of Health and Human Services. The house adjusted the floor count to 432 representatives.
The House passed the following bills:
- H.R. 609 – Mike Kelly (Republican – Pennsylvania) introduced H.R. 609 to name the Veterans Affairs health care center in Center Township, Butler, County, Pennsylvania as the “Abie Abraham VA Clinic”. Summary found here.
- H.R. 512 – Ted S. Yoho (Republican – Florida) introduced an amendment to title 38, U.S. Code, to allow veterans to grant certain designated congressional employees access to their records that are stored within the Veterans Benefits Administration databases, and for other purposes. Summary found here.
- H.R. 244 – Paul Cook (Republican – California) introduced the “Honoring Investments in Recruiting and Employing American Military Veterans Act of 2017” or the “HIRE Vets Act”, to direct the Department of Labor to establish a program to recruit, employ and retain veterans and provide community and charitable services supporting the veteran community. Summary found here.
- H.R. 974 – Kathleen Rice (Democrat – New York) introduced H.R. 974 to authorize the Department of Veterans Affairs, when awarding contracts, to give preference to applicants based on the percentage of the offeror’s full-time employees who are veterans. The bill also allows the VA to ban a contractor for at least 5 years if they are found to willfully misrepresent the veteran status if its employees Summary found here.
Additionally, the House made appointments to the following:
- The United States – China Economic and Security Review Commission
- Creating Options for Veterans’ Expedited Recovery Commission
- National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service
- Medal of Valor Review Board
- Board of Trustees of the American Folklife Center Library of Congress
The House of Representatives will reconvene tomorrow at 10:00 AM EST.
The Senate concurred with H. Con. Res. 18 – “Permitting the use of the rotunda of the Capitol for a ceremony as part of the commemoration of the days of remembrance for victims of the Holocaust” and passed it with a unanimous vote on February 10, 2017. The Senate notified the House on February 13 of their vote.
The Senate performed the following roll call votes:
- Steven Mnuchin was confirmed as the Secretary of the Treasury by a vote of 53-47.
- The Senate confirmed David Shulkin to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs by a vote of 100-0.
The Senate did not conduct any legislative business.
The Senate will reconvene tomorrow at 10:00 am EST.